Sunday, September 14, 2014

big city dreaming: week ii (a photo diary)

Hello folks!

After about 2 months I have finally found the time to post the second part of my trip to New York (It's extremely late I know, and I apologize!). This post is quite long, so bear with me! Fortunately it's more photo-heavy than text?

After the educational part of the trip, I was able to explore the Big Apple further, wandering around the hip parts of the Village, finding in amazing hidden sushi places in Chinatown, and strolling through a huge open market down the street from 30 Rock (which, admittedly was a bit out of our set boundaries but well worth it).

First stop in the tour? Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty (of course). Although I wasn't eager to go out and do all the touristy stuff, the view from the ferry was beautiful! We didn't spend too much time with Lady Liberty (only about 20 minutes), but I didn't mind. Afterwards we went to Chinatown where my friends and I found a great sushi place and a mediocre boba spot, but nevertheless it was a fun night.


View from the boat // The Statue of Liberty

The following day the group woke up super early to catch a recording of the TODAY Show at Rockefeller Center which was pretty rad! After a while though, it got a bit old so a few of us went around the area for a few hours, and found a super cool open market, staged on an entire street and closing off traffic in one direction. There was a kiosk with these beautiful rings but alas, I hadn't the extra money for them.




At the TODAY Plaza // Art Vendors // Flags // Dumb Selfies inside a Sunglass Kiosk

We stopped by SoHo for a bit, and we stopped by all of my favorite retail stores (Urban and Zara anyone?). It was a brief trip, sadly, and it started raining, but it wasn't too bad.

In SoHo (ft. two pals )

At night, we went to the Empire State Building, where the view was breath-taking.


Views and more views // Yours truly at the top (wearing a FREE PEOPLE Top. DKNY Denim Jacket,  Forever 21 Shorts)

On to the next day! Destinations: Central Park, South Street Seaport, and Broadway.




Central Park // Cannoli + Iced Coffee from a Food Truck at the South Sea Seaport // On Broadway

On the last day of the NYLF program, we went to Greenwich Village and Union Square. I got to see NYU (insert heart-eyed emoji) and hang out with my NYLF friends one last time.

NYU // Waverly Place

My NYLF experience was truly life-changing as I further discovered my passions and interests and made amazing friends that I still love and miss (I swear I'm not trying to be cliché).  After the program ended, I stayed in the city a few extra days with my dad and aunt and I got to venture into the Brooklyn scene. Most of the time we just went out to eat.

First stop: Pies n' Thighs, a Southern soul food joint on 4th Street in Brooklyn.



Menus // Entrees // Grimy Bathroom Selfies at Pies n' Thighs

Next: Burger King and Cafetasia in Greenwich


Food and drank.
Ugly nails and a henna.

 Last Day: Waiting for the Subway, loitering about Brooklyn brownstones, and sitting on stoops


OOTD: SUPREME Gingham Button-Up, Levi's Shorts, H&M Tank


And that wraps up my trip! Sorry for the lengthy post, and for being MIA lately. New posts coming soon!

Besitos,
Daysia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment